Exploding DNA Forums

Go Back   Exploding DNA Forums > Welcome To The Exploding DNA And Chat With The Gods Forums > Current Events/Updates

Notices

Current Events/Updates Post Current News And Events That Attracts Us.

Unread
Grand Esteem Family Elder

IssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy MLK Memorial Does Not Mention the Words “Racism” or “Black”

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Your Black World

Not meaning to be picky or to challenge those who worked with corporations to fund the Memorial built in remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, but I had to mention this. Someone sent me a message today stating that he’d been told during a meeting with the heads of the committee to build the memorial that race and racial inequality had been deliberately excluded from all of the quotes on the MLK Memorial. According to the witness who sent me the message, the individual who made the decision to leave out Dr. King’s quotes on race and racial inequality felt that for his children, race isn’t a factor and that he wanted the memorial to go beyond race.

Here is what the person said in his message:

“Harry E. Johnson head of the King memorial told the group I was with when we received a tour of the memorial that the memorial intentionally did not have any quotes about race and that themes of the memorial intentionally avoided dealing with racial inequality. Mr. Johnson reasoned that for his children race isn’t an issue and that this memorial needed to go beyond race. I was blown away and saddened that somehow a King memorial would be allowed to be created that intentionally avoided the issue of race and racial inequality an issue that was at the center of Dr. King’s life work.”

I took a look at the list of quotes on the Martin Luther King Memorial and noticed that the words “black” or “racism” do not exist anywhere in the list of statements by Dr. King. In addition to the exclusion of words relating to race (other than a quote about transcending race, which is sure to please any post-racial enthusiast), there is little to no reference to Dr. King’s lifelong struggle for racial equality in America. One small exception is a quote calling for us to commit ourselves to the “noble struggle for equal rights,” which can apply to equality for everyone, which doesn’t specifically reference race. This reminds me of the age old argument that the Black civil rights struggle is no different than the struggles of the gay community, animal rights groups and everyone else (remember when PETA ran ads comparing dogs to slaves?).

I am not sure if those on the committee to design the memorial were unaware that Dr. King spent much of his life fighting for racial equality, or if they somehow concluded that the struggle was implied. But I am not surprised that in a nation where discussing racial inequality is politically costly, that this issue would be left off the table. It’s hard to argue that Dr. King would not be uniquely appalled by the fact that Black unemployment is nearly double that of whites, that Black men are being incarcerated at a rate that is seven times greater than white men, or that Black children are being sent to woefully underfunded schools in the inner city. If that’s not inequality, then I don’t know what is.

I’m sure Harry Johnson and others who were able to raise $120 million from companies like Walmart to build the monument are good men. At the same time, Black men are rewarded for having a certain style of thinking when it comes to getting money from the pockets of our historical oppressors (I’m sure I’ll never get much money from Walmart). I encourage Mr. Johnson to rethink his position and perhaps issue an explanation regarding why Dr. King should somehow be ashamed of his lifelong advocacy for Black men, women and children. If Dr. King had not been a Black man in America, he would never have become Dr. King.

Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Professor at Syracuse University and founder of the Your Black World Coalition. To have Dr. Boyce commentary delivered to your email, please click here.
The Cross Can Be Found In Two Places , One On Top Of The Churchs , And The Other On Top Of The Grave , The One On To Of The Churchs Is Where The Mentalty Dead Are , And The One On Top Of The Grave Is , Where The Physical Dead Lay .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

Peace In The Lamb Is True-ly Wonderful
Unread

IssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Martin Luther King Was No Super Hero

Dr. Boyce Watkins – Syracuse University, Your Black World

As I leave the Martin Luther King Unity breakfast being hosted by the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity in Huntsville, AL, I am reflecting on the legacy of Dr. King himself. In the midst of my airport inner-ranting, I realized something that I should have understood more thoroughly in the past: Martin Luther King was nobody’s hero.

Continue reading on The Boyce Blog
The Cross Can Be Found In Two Places , One On Top Of The Churchs , And The Other On Top Of The Grave , The One On To Of The Churchs Is Where The Mentalty Dead Are , And The One On Top Of The Grave Is , Where The Physical Dead Lay .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

Unread

Arrow What is the State of “The Dream?”

by Dr. Julianne Malveaux

I always feel inspired and elated, but also challenged and chagrined, at some of the celebrations of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday. There are those, too many folks, who want to sanitize Dr. King and turn him into a dreamer. Too many only quote the part of his “I have a dream” speech that talks about character content and skin color. Too few remember that in the same speech he said, “We have come to the nation’s capital to cash a check, and the check has been marked insufficient funds.” Dr. King was an economic populist, an anti-war activist, as well as a classically trained theologian. Too many put emphasis on the latter, without acknowledging the former.

That’s why each year, I am excited to receive the State of the Dream report from United for a Fair Economy. This organization does great work in talking about the wealth gap, and their annual foray into exploring the dream has looked at joblessness, homelessness, and austerity. Last year their report shared facts on the relative pay that people of color earn in the public and the private sector and concluded that austerity programs that cut government jobs disproportionately affect people of color.

This year’s report focuses on the Emerging Majority, and concludes that unless policy shifts are made, the wealth gap will grow even wider than it is today. Additionally, they project that by 2042, just 30 years from now when people of color are a majority in our society, nearly 5 percent of the African American population and 2 percent of the Latino population will be in prison if current incarceration trends continue. The report’s set of policy recommendation’s includes a recommendation to end the war on drugs. Indeed, more than half of those currently incarcerated are casualties of the drug war, some with very minor offenses, and others with conditions that warrant drug treatment, not incarceration.

“Economic inequality between whites and people of color will persist unless bold and intentional steps aer taken to make meaningful progress towards racial equity, to sever the connection between race and poverty, and ultimately to eliminate the racial economic divide altogether,” the report says in its Executive Summary. But such bold words are belied by the growing gap, increasing poverty, the unemployment rate differential, and continuing barriers to educational access in communities of color and among those who are low income. While our international competitors are investing in education, we are simply divesting. It is almost as if we have made a decision to devolve into a developing country.

What would Dr. King say about all this? I think he’d be outside with the folks from Occupy Wall Street, and I think he’d be directing them to a 21st century version of the Poor People’s Campaign. I think he’d be standing outside some of the banks, asking why they deserve the bailouts that ordinary people can’t get. Just as he occupied a housing project in Chicago, I bet he’d camp out with a family experiencing foreclosure. I know he’d be challenging us all.

There have been significant changes since Dr. King was assassinated in 1968, and the signs don’t say white or colored any more. The signs don’t have to say it – in some instances outcomes do. In other words, there are no signs on dollars that say white or colored, but African American people have pennies to the dollars of wealth that whites hold. There are no signs that say white or colored on executive employment, but you can count the African American CEOs in Fortune five hundred companies on one, or on a good day, maybe two hands. The signs don’t say segregation, but too many still experience it, and while few in polite company use racist expletives to describe people of African descent in this country, when a talk show host and a Congressman have the utter temerity to describe the First Lady’s body in disparaging terms, it takes me back two centuries, to echoes of the Hottentot Venus, Sarah Bartjee.

The dream is certainly a work in progress, but the dream won’t work unless we do. We cannot afford to be smug, glib, or complacent. The UFE report suggests that if we don’t act now, it will get worse later.

More From Your Black World:

Unread

Arrow Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr- Quotes

“I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.”

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.”

“Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will. And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over. And I’ve seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land.”

“My husband was a man who hoped to be a Baptist preacher to a large, Southern, urban congregation. Instead, by the time he died in 1968, he had led millions of people into shattering forever the Southern system of segregation of the races.” ~ Coretta Scott King (1927-2006)

“Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.”

“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.”

“I submit that an individual who breaks the law that conscience tells him is unjust and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law.”

“It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that’s pretty important.”

Return from prison
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

MLK family
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”..

Last edited by IssaEl21; at 11:43 AM..
Unread

Pa Neter Ra is on a distinguished road
Default MLK on proclaiming emancipation

Peace,

As Dr. King proclaimed in one of his public speakings "...if the Negro (i.e., the fallen Moors) is to be free he must move down into the inner resources of his own soul and sign with a pen and ink of self assertive manhood his own emancipation proclamation..." The soul is Ba, which is the basic root of Bennu, which is the soul of Atum, Ra, and Asar. Bennu is connected with the verb weben, which means "to rise or ascend in radiance." In Physics, weben can mean "to defy gravity." Constructs or paradigms are aspects of gravity (logic) in societies, pedagogic and religious institutions, and governments. There are two types of fallacies in logic that are found in these paradigms: (a) formal and (b) informal. One of the purposes of formal and informal fallacy in logic (gravity) and rhetoric, for example, is to circumvent Sound Right Reason (wu bu nu and wu nu bu).

Pa Neter Ra (pa naba ra)
9 x 13

Sign your own emancipation proclamation
Unread

Exclamation Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr- Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssaEl21 View Post
“I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.”

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.”

“Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I’m not concerned about that now. I just want to do God’s will. And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I’ve looked over. And I’ve seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land.”

“My husband was a man who hoped to be a Baptist preacher to a large, Southern, urban congregation. Instead, by the time he died in 1968, he had led millions of people into shattering forever the Southern system of segregation of the races.” ~ Coretta Scott King (1927-2006)

“Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can’t ride you unless your back is bent.”

“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.”

“I submit that an individual who breaks the law that conscience tells him is unjust and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law.”

“It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that’s pretty important.”

Return from prison
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

MLK family
“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”..
Plzzz refer to post's # 1 - 4 , Thankyou

Unread

Pa Neter Ra is on a distinguished road
Default Value and Substance

Peace,

“…I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I have a dream today…”-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

My comments:

From a moral sphere, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. has uttered a transition in world paradigm. The idea of Color or Colored, in a jural sphere, is unreal (refer to Black’s Law dictionary). The content of one’s character is shaped in a moral sphere. The application of right conduct takes a good person and makes a better person so that he or she can become one of the building blocks for a better life. The Sacred Records of Atum Re informs us that we are the Masters of Nuwaupu (9 x 13). We know that it is our destiny for us to awaken from the three deadly sins: (a) physical death, (b) spiritual death, and (c) mental death. It is destiny for us to rise up out of our Nub Ankh (tombs) for our Supreme Grand Master has beckoned us to life. It was lies and untruths that have killed y-our souls (ba) and yet the Hawk (bik) must be raised from the mental dead. Racism is not a legal term, but the word Character is a legal term. The dilemma of trying to define value in the context of substance has been the dilemma of trying to contain a larger container in a smaller container. Value is not a subspecies of substance but rather substance is a subspecies of value.

Pa Neter Ra

Great Peace Society of American Muurs
Muurs of the Great Peace
9 x 13

Last edited by Pa Neter Ra; at 11:00 PM..
Unread

Exclamation Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy:A road map for President Obama’s new term

Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy: A road map for President Obama’s new term
So many in my parents’ generation – and ours – never thought we’d see an African-American elected president of this country. Now, not only have we been blessed to see that day, but on Jan. 21, we will witness the president accept a second term on the same day that our nation pauses WASHINGTON (AP) — On the brink of a second term, President Barack Obama invoked Martin Luther King Jr.’s commitment to service Saturday as inauguration-goers flocked to the capital city for a distinctly American celebration including an oath-taking as old as the republic, a splashy parade and partying enough to last four years.

“I think we’re on the cusp of some really great things,” Vice President Joe Biden predicted for a country still recovering from a deep recession.

Freshly built inaugural stands at the Capitol gleamed white in the sun, and hundreds of chairs for special guests were set out on the lawn that spills down toward the National Mall as the president and vice president began their inauguration weekend.

Julius Cherry, in town from Sacramento, Calif., brought his family to the foot of the Capitol to see the area where their official tickets will let them watch the public ceremonies on Monday.

“There were people who said they’d never vote for an African-American president,” the 58-year-old lawyer said. “Now they’ve voted for him twice, and he won the popular vote and the electoral vote. That says something about his policies and his team.”

“And the country,” added Cherry’s wife, Donna.

Said Erika Goergen, from the Midwest and attending college locally: “It’s amazing to be here right now.”

Officials estimated that as many as 800,000 people will attend Monday’s public ceremonies. That’s more than live in the city, if far fewer than the 1.8 million who were at Obama’s first inauguration in 2009.

The president made only a glancing reference to race as he spoke at an elementary school not far from the White House after he and first lady Michelle Obama stained a bookcase as part of a national service event organized by the inaugural committee.

“We think about not so much the inauguration, but we think about this is Dr. King’s birthday we’re going to be celebrating this weekend,” the president said.

“He said everybody wants to be first, everybody wants to be a drum major. But if you’re going to be a drum major, be a drum major for service, be a drum major for justice, be a drum major for looking out for other people,” Obama said of the civil rights leader whose birthday is celebrated as a national holiday on Monday.

Because the date for inauguration set in the Constitution, Jan. 20, falls on a Sunday this year, Obama and Biden were to be sworn in for second terms in separate, private ceremonies on Sunday.

The public ceremonies are set for Monday, when Obama will take the oath of office at noon, then deliver an inaugural address before a large crowd and a national television audience in the millions.

The traditional lunch with lawmakers in the Capitol follows, and the inaugural parade down Pennsylvania Avenue toward the White House. There, a reviewing stand was adorned with the presidential seal and equipped with seats enough for Obama and other dignitaries to watch in relative comfort as military units, marching bands, floats and thousands of participants go past. A pair of inauguration balls will cap the day, including one with a guest list that runs to 40,000 names.

A select few — those who donated as much as $1 million to defray inauguration expenses — received special access to public as well as invitation-only receptions and parties.

The second term begins in circumstances different in many ways from the first, but familiar in others.

The economy, then in the grip of a fierce and deepening recession, is now recovering slowly as unemployment recedes and stocks flirt with five-year highs. The health care legislation that Obama urged Congress to enact in his first inaugural address is the law of the land, courtesy of a split ruling by the Supreme Court.

Unread

Default Dr. Martin Luther King’s legacy:A road map for President Obama’s new term

Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden is dead at the hands of U.S. special operations forces. But the organization he inspired is far from moribund, as demonstrated by the just-ended kidnapping episode Saturday at an Algerian natural gas complex that, according to the Algerian government, left at least 23 hostages dead. The U.S. on Friday acknowledged one American death.

When Obama took office in 2009, his Democratic allies held control of Congress.

Now, divided government rules, and Republicans who control the House lead the way in insisting the administration agree to spending cuts that will reduce soaring federal deficits. Obama has said he is ready to compromise on that.

At the outset of a second term, he also wants Congress to overhaul the nation’s immigration laws and take steps to reduce gun violence in the wake of the shooting last month in Newtown., Conn., that left 20 elementary school children dead.

Yet for once, politics seemed to edge ever so slightly into the background in the most political of cities.

Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton headlined a National Day of Service gathering under a tent on the National Mall, where she said she had been inspired by her grandmother, as well as her famous parents. She urged her audience to become part of a “chain of service” by helping the less fortunate.

Biden and his wife, Jill, spent time at an armory pitching in as volunteers packed 100,000 care kits for deployed members of the military, wounded warriors, veterans and first responders.

Biden credited former President George H. W. Bush, a Republican, for starting the “Points of Light” program, which was a sponsor of the event. He said service was an antidote to “the coarsening of our culture. We’ve got to get back to reaching out to people.”

In the evening, Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Biden were hosting the Kids’ Inaugural Concert, an event paying special tribute to military spouses and children.

___

Associated Press writers Darlene Superville, Laurie Kellman and Frederic J. Frommer contributed to this report.

Copyright 2013 The Associated press