Exploding DNA Forums

Go Back   Exploding DNA Forums > Welcome To The Exploding DNA And Chat With The Gods Forums > Current Events/Updates

Notices

Current Events/Updates Post Current News And Events That Attracts Us.

Unread
Grand Esteem Family Elder

IssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the rough
Arrow Thousands Feared Dead in Massive Haiti Earthquake

Haiti has been devastated by a massive 7.0-magnitude earthquake, causing what is being described as a catastrophe of major proportions. The extent of the disaster is still unclear, but there are fears thousands of people may have died and tens of thousands lost their homes. In the capital Port-au-Prince, thousands of buildings were damaged or destroyed, including hospitals, schools and hotels. The United Nations headquarters was also reported to be severely damaged, and many of its staff are reported missing. It was the strongest earthquake to hit Haiti in more than two centuries. Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and has suffered a number of recent disasters, including four hurricanes and storms in 2008 that killed hundreds.

Click here: Democracy Now! | Headlines for January 13, 2010#1

Click here: Haitian capital devestated by earthquake

A survivor is pulled out of the rubble following the deadly Haiti earthquake. Photo courtesy, United Nations
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – A devestating magnitude 7.0 earthquake hit the country of Haiti on Tuesday, where a hospital collapsed and people were screaming for help. Other buildings also were damaged.
Responding to the humanitarian crisis, President Barack Obama stated, "we are just now beginning to learn the extent of the devastation, but the reports and images that we've seen of collapsed hospitals, crumbled homes, and men and women carrying their injured neighbors through the streets are truly heart-wrenching."

United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon issued an urgent call to the international community to assist Haiti following yesterday's catastrophic earthquake that has devastated the Caribbean nation's capital.

Buildings and infrastructure in Port-au-Prince suffered extensive damage, while basic services, including water and electricity are near the brink of collapse. The full extent of casualties, which could number in the hundreds, is still unknown, Mr. Ban told reporters in New York.

“There is no doubt that we are facing a major humanitarian emergency and that a major relief effort will be required,” he said.

An Associated Press videographer saw the wrecked hospital in Petionville, near Port-au-Prince, and a U.S. government official reported seeing houses that had tumbled into a ravine.

No further details on any causualties or other damage were immediately available.

Don Blakeman, an analyst at the USGS in Golden, Colorado, said such a strong quake carried the potential for widespread damage.

"I think we are going to see substantial damage and casualties," he said.

Blakeman said Haiti had already been hit by many aftershocks, the two largest registering magnitude 5.9 and 5.5.

"We expect more aftershocks because this is a large, shallow earthquake," he said.

The quake was felt in the Dominican Republic, which shares a border with Haiti on the island of Hispaniola. Some panicked residents in the capital of Santo Domingo fled from their shaking homes.

Another USGS analyst, Dale Grant, said this was "the largest quake recorded in this area." He said the last strong quake was a magnitude-6.7 temblor in 1984.

"Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken," said Henry Bahn, a U.S. Department of Agriculture visiting Haiti. "The sky is just gray with dust."

Bahn said he was walking to his hotel room when the ground began to shake.

"I just held on and bounced across the wall," he said. "I just hear a tremendous amount of noise and shouting and screaming in the distance."

Bahn said there were rocks strewn all over the place and he saw a ravine where several homes had been built. "It's just full of collapsed walls and rubble and barbed wire," he said.

Felix Augustin, Haiti's consul general in New York, said he was concerned about everyone in Haiti, including his relatives.

"Communication is absolutely impossible," he said. "I've been trying to call my ministry and I cannot get through. ... It's mind-boggling."

This article was compiled from Assocated Press and Final Call reports.
The Cross Can Be Found In Two Places , One On Top Of The Churchs , And The Other On Top Of The Grave , The One On To Of The Churchs Is Where The Mentalty Dead Are , And The One On Top Of The Grave Is , Where The Physical Dead Lay .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

Peace In The Lamb Is True-ly Wonderful
Unread

IssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the roughIssaEl21 is a jewel in the rough
Default UN: 2 Million Haitians Need Immediate Food Aid

UN: 2 Million Haitians Need Immediate Food Aid
The World Food Program says the crisis in Haiti after the earthquake may be the most complex operation the agency has ever faced. The United Nations estimates that two million Haitians need immediate food aid. So far distribution of food aid has been limited. As of Saturday, the World Food Program had reached about 200,000 in Port-au-Prince and 113,000 in other areas—less than a sixth of the people that need food aid. Haitians living in tent cities in Port-au-Prince say they have nothing to eat.

Haitian Resident: “I’ve been at Champ de Mars since January 12, and I don’t know what’s going on or what’s going to happen to us. I don’t know where to go. We are sleeping in the streets. And I’m telling all who want to help that we are waiting for your help. We have nothing to eat, nothing to drink."

Canada Hosts Meeting to Discuss Rebuilding Haiti
At a meeting in Montreal, international leaders agreed Monday on a ten-year plan to rebuild Haiti. Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper chaired the talks.

Stephen Harper: “It is not an exaggeration to say that ten years of hard work, at least, awaits the world in Haiti. Two, we need to focus on effectiveness. The Haitian people deserve it, and our own taxpayers expect it. Three, we must hold ourselves and each other accountable for the commitments that we make. I’d like to see emerge from this meeting the beginnings of a plan that will guide reconstruction in Haiti in a way that is effective, coordinated and strategic for the decade to come."

Speaking in Montreal, Haiti’s Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive said Haiti’s government could lead efforts to rebuild the country.

Jean-Max Bellerive: “I can simply tell you that the people of Haiti are in need of more, more and more, in order to complete the sole task of reconstruction.”

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton attended the Montreal talks but declined to say how much the United States would provide in the long term. While foreign ministers met in Montreal, the situation on the ground in Haiti remains dire. Haiti’s Minister of Health Alex Larsen says the medical community is struggling to deal with the high number of amputations needed to be performed on survivors of the quake.

Alex Larsen: “And what is particularly sad is the children. There are many children whose members were totally crushed, putrefied, and that we had to amputate. There is this five-year-old who had to be amputated under the knee. When you look at this child, you tell yourself, he won’t have the same youth that I have had, that you have had.”

Click here: Democracy Now! | Search for Haiti
The Cross Can Be Found In Two Places , One On Top Of The Churchs , And The Other On Top Of The Grave , The One On To Of The Churchs Is Where The Mentalty Dead Are , And The One On Top Of The Grave Is , Where The Physical Dead Lay .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

Unread

Default US Resumes Medical Evacuation Flights from Haiti

The White House said Sunday the US would resume medical evacuations of critically injured Haitian earthquake victims after suspending the flights for five days. The US military ended the evacuation flights on Wednesday because Florida officials complained that their hospitals were overwhelmed and that they needed a plan for reimbursement for the care they were providing. Medical officials said the suspension of flights had been catastrophic for patients. Dr. Barth Green of Project Medishare for Haiti said, “People are dying in Haiti because they can’t get out.”

Haitians Block Road and Seize Trucks to Protest Lack of Aid
In the Haitian town of Gressier, residents blocked roads and seized trucks on Friday to protest the lack of aid. Residents said that trucks with humanitarian assistance have driven through the town on the road to Léogâne, but have not stopped to distribute any in Gressier. Meanwhile, in the town of Carrefour, residents continue to suffer due to lack of aid. Many residents, including fifty-six-year-old Simone Charles, now live in a makeshift tents.

Simone Charles: “Today marks the sixteenth day that I have been here with the children. I am dying of hunger. I used to walk, but now I can’t because I am so weak. I can’t even drink a little bit of water.”

10 US Baptist Missionaries Arrested for Trying to Smuggle Out Haitian Children
Haitian authorities have arrested ten Baptist missionaries from the United States after they were caught attempting to smuggle thirty-three Haitian children out of Haiti. Haiti’s Prime Minister Max Bellerive accused the missionaries of “illegal trafficking of children." Child welfare groups expressed outrage over the group’s attempt, saying some of the children had parents who survived the January 12 earthquake. The missionaries say they were only trying to rescue abandoned and traumatized children. The children have been taken to an orphanage in Haiti run by the international aid group SOS Children’s Villages, headed by George Willard.

George Willard: “The situation for children in Haiti at the moment is really dramatic. There are thousands of unaccompanied children. We, SOS Children’s Villages and other NGOs, have to take care of them. We have to give them a safe place, safe and secure place, because outside they are really vulnerable and they are living in danger. So we have to bring them in and then slowly checking if their relatives or family is still capable.”

Unread

Default G7 Nations Pledge to Forgive Haiti’s Debt

Finance ministers from the G7 Industrialized Nations have pledged to forgive some $1.2 billion in debt owed by Haiti following last month’s devastating earthquake. Canadian Finance Minister Jim Flaherty made the announcement during a two-day G7 meeting in the Canadian Arctic town of Iqaluit.

Jim Flaherty, Canadian Finance Minister: “We are committed in the G7 to the forgiveness of debt. In fact, all bilateral debt has been forgiven by G7 countries vis-à-vis Haiti. The debt to multi-natural—multilateral institutions should be forgiven, and we’ll work with these institutions and other partners to make this happen as soon as possible. And we discussed the long-term reconstruction assistance that Haiti will need as it emerges from the current, urgent situation as a result of the earthquake.”

One Million Remain Homeless in Haiti
In Haiti some one million people remain homeless following the January 12 quake. International aid organizations have begun providing temporary housing supplies, but the aid is reaching just a fraction of the homeless population. Over the weekend, Doctors Without Borders handed out 1,800 tents. Last week, the United Nations said that more than 10,000 family-sized tents had been distributed. The United Nations estimates that 460,000 people remain in makeshift camps throughout Port-au-Prince. Meanwhile, medical officials said clinics are still overrun with patients, and doctors are seeing an increase in infectious diseases.

Jean William Pape, head of the GHESKIO clinic in Port-Au-Prince: “We are seeing less acute cases, less trauma cases, but we are starting to see more cases linked to infectious problems, complications of cases that were operated on, as well as water-borne infectious diseases, such as infectious diarrhea.”